Moving back to .NET

Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 16:50:32 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 15:21:34 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 14:54:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> Do you mean build from the command line? I did that at my
>> previous job where we were using cmake and had made the
>> directory structure very neat, and all of the VS stuff was
>> separate from the actual code, since we didn't build in the
>> source directories, but at my current job, everything was set
>> up with VS by folks who use VS for everything, and the
>> directory structure is a complete mess, making doing stuff
>> from the command line a lot messier than it should be.
>
> Doesn't msbuild build it? We have our projects set up with VS
> too, and it's built by msbuild just fine in a single command.
> In fact one of our developers builds the solution from command
> line too and he uses CLI TFS cilent.

I've actually encountered some heavily configured Visual Studio
projects that could be build from Visual Studio but not from
MSBuild. Never got to dig deep enough to figure out why - I
suspect it has something to do with the solution arrangement in
one of them, and with VS plugins in another. Should be avoidable
if one of the devs works with MSBuild from the start - but that
was clearly not the case here.

At any rate, I still managed to create the illusion of building
them from the command line by keeping a open instance of Visual
Studio in the background and using devenv to make it compile them
when I needed to. But this method will probably not work well if
you want to automate these builds on a server...