Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 26 01:52:57 PDT 2015

On 26 September 2015 at 15:35, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/2015 8:55 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> Editing the path variable is one of the most unenjoyable and annoying
>> things to do in windows. start -> settings -> system -> advanced
>> system settings -> environment variables -> PATH -> note the stupid
>> window that appears; a single-line text box created in 1995 (or
>> earlier?), which barely lets you see a single path in a line that's
>> probably a few kb long... whenever you touch it, you know you're
>> likely breaking something on your system that currently works ;)
>> People do it if they have to; in my current case, dev's MUST setup
>> emscripten to build the web frontend, and they proceed to complain
>> about how shit the toolchain experience is, but they are forced to use
>> it regardless... nobody is forced to use D. They must find themselves
>> actively drawn to use D.
>

> You can edit sc.ini instead of PATH, as sc.ini overrides it.
>
> Anyhow, I edit the PATH from the path line like:
>
> PATH >foo.bat
>
> ... edit foo.bat and put SET in front of it...
>
> foo

That kinda seems like more work... but whatever works for you ;)

But regardless, I wasn't talking about DMD pathing troubles. The only
DMD related issue I mentioned was the uninstaller failing. In the case
I gave, LDC was finding the wrong linker.
My claim is that it is wrong for tools to find their dependencies in
PATH on windows. That should be a last resort in lieu of proper
configuration, and proper configuration should have ideally happened
during installation (as is the case with DMD).