Re: Indicators and traction…

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 26 20:34:23 PDT 2015

On 24 September 2015 at 01:09, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 08:19 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>

>> The most important can be paraphrased as "I had heard of D but as it
>> was getting no traction, I never looked at it again."
>>

> While I agree this is something we need to address, I gotta say: I
> *strongly* consider that attitude to be highly indicative of a
> mediocre-at-best developer.

'Most' developers are mediocre-at-best. They are the developers we
need to attract. They are the critical mass, and they represent
momentum.
The enthusiasts are already here.

> This is engineering, not fucking fashion.

You're familiar with JS, MongoDB, Ruby on rails, etc, etc? Software
engineers are firmly engaged in fashion.

> Popularity has no place in decision making here.

Sadly, false.

> From everything I've seen, 90% of the problems that
> exist in computing technology today can be traced back directly to some
> jackass(es) weighing popularity higher than actual technical merit.

So, you agree and recognise the truth.
We need to appeal in terms of a popularity contest. That's the way forward ;)