Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 26 23:52:48 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 at 06:34:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/26/2015 10:20 AM, Brad Anderson wrote:
>> Just a little aside tip, Windows search these days is actually
>> really excellent
>> for settings like this (and programs). Windows Key + "env" +
>> Enter is enough to
>> get you to the dialog.
>
> Sorry, but the env dialog box is a sad joke, at least on
> Windows 7.
>
> 1. You cannot select any of the text in the dialog.
> 2. You cannot increase the size of the dialog.
> 3. Longer values end in "...".
> 4. You cannot edit so-called "System" environment variables.
> 5. You can scroll the list up or down, but not sideways!
>
> That all conspires to ensure that you CANNOT SEE what the
> longer values even are! It's pathetic.
>
> Back to the command line for me.

I think that the only aspect of it which has changed since
Windows 95 is the window style. Whenever I have to edit PATH, I
copy it out of their horrible edit box, edit it in something like
vim, and then copy it back. Honestly, MS should be embarrassed by
the state of the env dialog box.

- Jonathan M Davis