Moving back to .NET

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 28 08:43:27 PDT 2015

On 25/09/2015 14:43, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

>>> While it is easy to agree with you, I don't think a lack of IDE or even
>>> libraries is something one should expect to be addressed by the language
>>> developer. Those are issues one can find solutions to if D is suitable
>>> and different people have different taste. Go and Rust have been in the
>>> same boat. This is not a show stopper...
>>
>> Dunno if "expect" is the right word, but a language team that puts IDE
>> support as part of its development effort, will have a big competitive
>> advantage.
>>
>> D is not on the same boat as Rust here. The Rust team is investing
>> much more in toolchain support (beyond the compiler and basic tools).
>> For example, they contracted an external developer to help them with
>> debugger issues
>> (https://michaelwoerister.github.io/2014/02/28/mozilla-contract.html).
>> And more than that, they are also now effecting plans to improve their
>> tools (or create new ones) to support IDE functionality (
>> https://github.com/nrc/rfcs/blob/2410d2ce1682813ea79debbf13a99868e6a6bd8a/text/0000-ide.md
>> )
>
> Out of curiosity, how much money  would be needed to do something
> similar for D ?  Not that I can help for now, but it's good to
> understand the magnitude of things.

Dunno. A developer's salary would have to be paid, and since it's a
remote job, could vary a lot depending on the location where the
developer is based.

Also, a developer who is already involved in the community, and has
interested in working in such area, could be willing to work for a
fraction of his normal salary. (I would, for example)

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros