Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 28 20:33:23 PDT 2015

> On Monday, 28 September 2015 at 23:44:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 9/28/2015 2:41 PM, rumbu wrote:
>>> Pressing Ctrl-C in any *standard* dialog will copy the text to clipboard since
>>> Windows 2000, even captions and buttons.
>>
>> Nope. Doesn't work in the Environment Variables dialog box. Doesn't work in
>> the Thunderbird about box. Doesn't work in the Notepad about box. Doesn't work
>> in the IE about box. Or any of the IE dialog boxes I tried, like Internet
>> Options.
>>
>> I haven't found ANY where it works.
>
> Hmmm. I'm don't know what you're doing differently from the rest of us.
> Certainly, the text in about boxes isn't usually selectable, but aren't we
> specifically talking about the dialog for editing environment variables here? If
> I open the environment variable dialog, select Path, and click on the edit
> button,

Try selecting any text in the dialog box before opening another one with the
edit button. Or try any of the ones I mentioned.

 > And I can now edit that text and copy it back into the edit field for the
Path variable, which is stupid to have to do but is a lot saner than editing the
text in the edit box directly.

Surely a dialog box stinks if you have to paste its contents into an editor to
edit it.