zip packages to pack modules

tcak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 28 22:24:47 PDT 2015

I brought this feature front before in the forum in someone
else's post, but it didn't take much attention probably at that
time.

I want to propose a feature for front-end of the compiler.

The basic definition of feature
===============================
ZIP pack the D module files, and while calling the compiler (dmd,
gdc, ldc) together with other D source codes, give the zip file.
The compiler, before doing anything, extracts the modules (and
sees directories as D package) into a temporary directory or
memory, and includes those files in the compilation process.

Use Case
========
* Include libraries in a project in one step.
* Versioning is much easier. Programmer creates a library with
many modules in it. ZIP packs them, and gives a version number to
it in filename. No more changes will be made on it. (This is my
#1 reasoning)
* Work of newcomers can be eased.

Why not DUB?
I have never use DUB ever, and not planning to use it. Nobody
else has to use it as well. I don't think anyone should be forced
for this. The proposed feature allows to simplify downloading
packages and using them in a projects very quickly and easily
without needing any tool.

What are the thoughts about this?