GuiDub

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 28 23:20:32 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 02:47:32 UTC, Jacob wrote:
> Idea:
>
> A gui app for dub that you run, it downloads the package info
> from the repository and you can select a project or create a
> new one and it will automatically add or remove dependencies?
>
> I'm having to browse the repository then manually add the
> dependencies to the dub.json file... so old school!
>
> Also, the app could provide documentation, and other
> resources(tutorials, etc) related the packages.
>
> An app probably could be created in a few days and would make
> the experience more enjoyable. I'd create it myself but I'm
> busy at the moment, and it would probably take a big longer
> than someone more informed.

I expect that most of the folks around here would just as soon
edit the dub.json file, considering that most of the folks around
here aren't big fans of IDEs. But if you think that a GUI-based
tool to edit dub.json files would be useful, then feel free to
write one. I rather doubt that anyone else is going to though. It
really isn't that much work to edit a dub.json file, and it's not
something that you need to do very often for a project.

What would probably be more interesting is if dub were turned
into a library (or at least, if it guts were turned into a
library, and the command-line tool, dub, then used that library),
and then IDEs could manipulate the spec files via that library as
well as do builds rather than having to run a command-line tool,
though it's not necessarily that big a deal for an IDE to just
parse the json or to run dub via the command-line.

- Jonathan M Davis