Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 01:58:04 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 07:29:23 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
>> Well, I would have thought that it was clearly designed with
>> the idea that you'd
>> click on the edit button to edit it. And you can copy and
>> paste the data from
>> the edit dialog.
>
> I should be able to copy any text on the screen.

Well, I don't know of any operating system where that's possible.
For instance, clicking on the title bar and dragging the mouse is
going to result in the window being dragged in every desktop
environment that I know of, not select the text on it, and it
would never work for the text on a button to be selectable, since
any attempt to select it would press the button. Maybe more of
the text in GUIs should be copyable than is, but that's pretty
clearly not generally a goal of GUI designers or of how GUI
toolkits are designed.

There have certainly been times where I've wanted to copy text
that was not selectable for some reason (or selectable but not
copyable), but it sounds like you have a much higher expectation
of text selectability than I do.

- Jonathan M Davis