Moving back to .NET

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 02:12:09 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 09:02:13 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 06:16:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> D2 is pretty much C++ with a Boehm collector attached to it.
>> So to get traction D has to improve on that model
>> significantly OR change direction completely.
>
> You speak like someone who's read the spec, but doesn't
> actually use the product. If you can put your theoretical mind
> on hold for a few days and actually immerse yourself in the
> language and its idioms for practical use*, you'd see that D
> has a large feature-overlap with to up-to-date C++, but often
> feels very different in practice. Maybe take some of the time
> you spend writing theoretically motivated forum posts and turn
> it in to some practical experience?
>
> P.S. forgive me if I'm wrong and you have done a bunch of
> serious coding in D, it just seemed unlikely seeing as you
> never seem to make specific practical complaints with example
> code, it's always an overarching principle or grand direction
> problem.

I have no idea what experience with D Ola really has, but I
wouldn't have expected anyone to say that D2 is C++ with a
garbage collector. The GC is a such a small part of D, and there
are so many features that it has that either C++ doesn't or that
it's improved considerably that it really doesn't make sense to
try and claim that C++ and D are that similar. C++11 and 14 have
closed the gap, but the two are still quite distinct. That
doesn't necessarily mean that D is better in all cases, but D is
definitely not just C++ with a GC.

- Jonathan M Davis