zip packages to pack modules

wobbles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 03:37:32 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 10:22:05 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 05:24:49 UTC, tcak wrote:
>
>> Use Case
>> ========
>> * Include libraries in a project in one step.
>> * Versioning is much easier. Programmer creates a library with
>> many modules in it. ZIP packs them, and gives a version number
>> to it in filename. No more changes will be made on it. (This
>> is my #1 reasoning)
>> * Work of newcomers can be eased.
>
> This could be accomplished by including dub in the default
> installation (already scheduled to happen) and then adding
> something like pragma("dep", ["lib1", "lib2", "lib3"]).
>
> For better or worse, it looks like the decision has been made
> to go with Dub. I think it's a mistake, because (i) it
> increases the learning curve, and (ii) the documentation was
> not written for newcomers (AFAICT the way to learn is to look
> at existing packages and then learn by trial and error). But
> what I think doesn't matter; the decision has been made to use
> Dub, so there is no chance that another approach will be taken.

How does it increase the learning curve?
Absolutely NOTHING will change when dub is included.
dmd and all your other tools will be there, and you don't have to
use dub if you don't want to.

Including dub just ensures that everyone can have access to all
the packages on code.dlang.org easily if they want them. And also
that we're all working on the same page if we want to create new
packages.

Personally I feel it's a no brainer to go with dub. Nothing to
lose and lots to gain.