Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 17:16:56 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 04:50:37PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/29/2015 1:58 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >There have certainly been times where I've wanted to copy text that
> >was not selectable for some reason (or selectable but not copyable),
> >but it sounds like you have a much higher expectation of text
> >selectability than I do.
>
> Cases that frustrate me:
>
> 1. In filing a bug report, I need to input the version number. For
> Internet Explorer, I bring up the "About Internet Explorer" dialog
> box. The version is (I kid you not) a 55 character string of random
> digits and letters. I want to cut&paste this. Not possible.
>
> 2. I get a dialog box popping up with an error message in it. I want
> to google the error message. Have to retype it.
>
> 3. Thunderbird Mail lets me import/export the address book. But not
> account settings. So I want to select and copy the account settings
> dialog box.  Nope.
>
> Really, what's the case for not supporting this? Am I really a unique
> snowflake?

Nope, you're just too smart to use a GUI. ;-)

Issues like these were part of what convinced me that the so-called
desktop metaphor was bunk and that the current infatuation with GUIs is
a case of emperor's clothes, and drove me to embrace the *nix shell.
Editing configuration files in a text editor is far more productive than
trying to fight with a GUI designed for dummies, especially when you
need to do something that the GUI designers did not anticipate.

A particular annoyance recently that almost drove me to tear out my hair
was also a case of non-resizeable dialogs in Windows (I have the
misfortune of needing to use my wife's Windows laptop from time to
time).  Obviously, that dialog was designed with the (shaky!) assumption
that (1) users do not change the default font size, which may cause the
chosen design size of the dialog to be far too small to display all
pertinent information, (2) filenames may be far longer than anticipated,
thereby not fitting into the (IMO far too small) dialog size, (3) the
user is too dumb to know how to use a window resizing function in a
dialog box (or more likely, the programmer was too lazy to implement
such a feature), and (4) it shouldn't matter if part of the information
is cut off from view (with no option of getting at it even if you wanted
to!) because most users don't care about that level of information
anyway, so one could get away with just a perfunctory display of partial
information and let the power users suffer for choosing to use something
not designed for them in the first place. Nevermind the fact that
supposedly "irrelevant" information is highly pertinent when you're
dealing with filenames that differ in their last few characters (e.g.,
"veryLongFilename-01" vs.  "veryLongFilename-02", when you're trying to
examine a series of files in sequence). But nooo, that only means the
user is too smart to be part of our target audience, so too bad for him.

Sigh.

Let's eat some disquits while we format the biskettes.