Moving back to .NET

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 21:55:32 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 04:32:52AM +0000, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 22:05:48 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> >My main complaints are also the compiler error messages ("Out of
> >memory" is the most annoying one) and the Linux-centric approach of
> >the development, but I'm far from being disgruntled.
>
> I've never understood the "Linux-centric" complaint. I've been using D
> on Windows for 11 years with no problems. Hell, in the early days,
> Linux was the red-headed stepchild. DMD may not be deeply integrated
> into the MS ecosystem of dev tools (which could certainly be an issue
> for a Windows-only dev shop that uses Visual Studio and peripherals
> for everything), but that hardly makes it Linux-centric.

I find these kinds of comments rather humorous, actually. Every once in
a while, somebody would barge into the forum and decry the current state
of things, bemoaning that D is too Linux-centric and that Windows gets
no love.

Then some time later, somebody else barges in, complaining about why he
failed to install D on his Linux box and that the D developers must
therefore be Windows people and D needs more Linux love.

I've seen both types of complaints. So which is it? Is D Windows-centric
or Linux-centric? Maybe the answer is neither, it's the PBCAK problem.
;-)

"I speak better English than this villain Bush" -- Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information