zip packages to pack modules

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 30 00:49:12 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 17:13:26 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 14:29:44 UTC, Atila Neves
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 12:04:51 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>>> Again, that's the problem. You shouldn't have to write your
>>> own dub package in order to use dub
>>
>> You don't. You have to write your own dub package in order for
>> other
>> people to use your code with dub.
>
> How do you use someone else's dub library without using dub
> yourself?

That's not what I said, nor what I replied to. You said "you
shouldn't have to write your own package in order to use dub".
That's not true. Unless you mean you need a dub description to
use dub, in which case, yes, you do. But as I showed later, it
can be auto-generated.

>> They don't need that either. `dub init myProj dep1 dep2 ...;
>> dub build`. Or
>> just use git submodules, other people do.
>
> Interesting. I wonder if there's a reason it's not documented
> on the website.

Good question.

> "just use git submodules" is not an appealing statement for
> many of those looking at D.
>
> This is no way to organize a critical component of the D
> ecosystem.

I agree. That's why we have dub.

Atila