Moving back to .NET

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 30 05:32:58 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 22:05:48 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> The original OP complained about compiler error messages and
> the lack of a true IDE, these are not "qualities" of a system
> level programming language, I see them as basic failures.

Yes, sure, but people looking for a system level language don't
have much to choose from so IDE is not a big issue.

Comparisons to C# comes up regularly. My point is more that there
is no way D can compete with projects that are good fit for C#. A
the D project should be up front about that.

> My main complaints are also the compiler error messages ("Out
> of memory" is the most annoying one) and the Linux-centric
> approach of the development, but I'm far from being disgruntled.

Ok. I didn't mean to address you specifically. Sorry if you read
it that way.

Certainly the complaints coming from D end users is rooted in
realties coming from the D project itself. Whether it is quality
problems or communication problems, one just cannot blame the end
users that express the issues they experience like several people
in the D community does. That kind of denial is toxic.

I don't think a full IDE experience is essential, but a
comparable debugging experience probably is.