Interface file

Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 30 12:24:03 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 at 17:51:50 UTC, Jan Johansson
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm testing D language, and the first thing I want to do is to
> separate declaration from implementation. I was happy to find
> support of interfaces in the D language, and set out to do a
> basic test. However, this test failed, and I want some newbie
> help to understand how it should be done in D language.
>
> ----------------------
>
> The interface file (I called it test.di):
>
> // Interface
> interface IMyTest {
>   void Write(string message);
> }
>
> // Factory for type implementing IMyTest
> IMyTest createInstance();
>
> ----------------------
>
> The library file (I called it test.d):
>
> import std.stdio;
>
> class MyTest : IMyTest {
>     void Write(string message) {
>         writeln(message);
>     }
> }
>
> IMyTest createInstance() {
>     return new MyTest;
> }
>
> ----------------------
>
> And finally the main file (I called it main.d):
>
> import test;
> import std.stdio;
>
> void main() {
>     auto p = createInstance();
>     p.Write("Hello, World!");
> }
>
> ----------------------
>
> The assumption was that I could do:
>
>   dmd test.d test.di -lib -oftest
>
> and next do:
>
>   dmd main.d test.di test.a
>

> The shared information is in the test.di file.
>
> However, this failed, since the first statement generates the
> following:
>
>   dmd test.d test.di -lib -oftest
>   Error: module test from file test.di conflicts with another
> module test from file test.d
>
> I guess it is because the file name test.d and test.di creates
> conflict, surfaced as module test.
>
> How can I accomplish what I want to do?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan Johansson

Like Adam said, the real difference between a .d and a .di file
is that the .di file has all the guts removed and is just the
declarations.

If using a .di file is really what you want, you could try
something like this?

test.d:
module test;

interface IMyTest {
    void Write(string message);
  }

  IMyTest createInstance() {
     class MyTest : IMyTest {
      void Write(string message) {
          import std.stdio;
          writeln(message);

      return new MyTest;
  }

---------------

test.di:

module test;

interface IMyTest {
    void Write(string message);
  }

  IMyTest createInstance();

---------------

main.d:

import test;

void main() {
     auto p = createInstance();
     p.Write("Hello, World!");
}

and then

dmd test.d -lib -oftest

and

dmd main.d test.di test.a

Also like Adam said, dmd can create these .di files for you so
you don't have to!

(This is untested, but should work/be close to working)