Moving back to .NET

rumbu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 30 13:31:42 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 at 16:52:21 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 at 09:49:34 UTC, rumbu wrote:
>> I would believe that when core.sys.windows will have the same
>> amount of code like core.sys.posix after the default
>> installation.
>
> I'm unbelievably close to that now, I just have a million other
> things to do (...including adding Linux headers that are
> missing from druntime too. it is less Linux- or Windows-
> centric and more "the smallest amount of work the core devs can
> possibly do that is useful"- centric)
>
>> Or when mscoff32 libs will be included in setup.
>
> dmd -m32mscoff generates those files and links with the
> Microsoft linker. It just works when I try it on my computer
> (which already has VS installed btw).
>
>> Or when the libs from windows\lib will not have a content from
>> 15 years ago.
>
> I might change that too though I'm not in as much of a rush
> since the 32mscoff and 64 don't use them anyway; they use the
> up-to-date MS sdks.

I want to personally thank you Adam for your efforts. My
complaint was not about availability (updated WinAPI headers are
around since D1 era), but about the fact that these headers were
never a "first class" citizen of the dmd setup like the posix
ones. Another problem was that even the headers were available,
the corresponding libs were not updated, and each time I must run
coffimplib to update them.

Like you said, using mscoff32 format will make them useless
anyway.

Again, thank you for keeping them up to date and including them
in the default setup, if possible.

When I say mscoff32 libs, I'm especially thinking about phobos,
but this seems solved partially (curl32mscoff.lib is missing) in
the last version.