How my little brother try D

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 2 20:28:48 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 2 April 2016 at 22:54:09 UTC, Lass Safin wrote:

> You're right in how it isn't obvious for non-techy people. I do
> suppose it would be doable without breaking any old code
> (unless for some arcane reason the code depends on static
> assert(!__traits(allMember, std.file).canFind("move"))...), so
> why not create a PR with "alias move = rename" inside?

If I were looking at the documentation with fresh eyes, I would
be just as confused as the OP's brother. It's not about being
non-techy. Someone had an issue with the documentation and
commenting on their inexperience won't improve the documentation.
The documentation has no examples. It doesn't mention file paths
at all. I.e., easy to get confused.

Moreover, posix systems have mv, which can move and rename. mv is
a crappy name, but at least if the function would have the same
semantics as mv, they could have named it move instead of rename.
Seems like a silly breaking change at this point, so they should
just improve the docs.