Let's market D: tell us how you're using it

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 3 03:50:19 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 3 April 2016 at 09:34:16 UTC, Adil wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 April 2016 at 09:12:05 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I though Laeeth had a good suggestion on how to market D a
>> couple months ago, as the current front-page pitch may be too
>> general for some chunk of readers:
>>
>> "A set of 'channels' for different use cases might be helpful.
>>  Eg bioinformatics, numerical computing, web, etc.  Both for
>> tutorials and setting out the advantages."
>>
>> I'd organize it by adding a usage page to dlang.org with a
>> list of popular channels like that, with a paragraph of info
>> for each and links to the wiki with more info about use in
>> that field. The usage page would have some links from the
>> front page pitch.
>>
>> As such, we need to collect info on how you all are using D
>> now.  If you are using D in some field like that, please
>> describe what you're doing and we'll add it to the website.
>
> Do you have a sample page where we can see the layout of your
> vision. It's hard  write content without knowing how it's going
> to be used.
>
> +1 on the idea.

I'm not looking for finished "content" as much as D users to talk
informally about what they're using D for.  Based on what you all
say, we can structure a page with some common uses.  Here's an
example I quickly threw up of what might go on the Usage page:

- Real-time cloud services

Companies like Sociomantic are using D to provide real-time
bidding on ad services...

- Cloud data analytics

EMSI is using D to crunch economic data about occupations...

Web services

Companies such as company X are using the vibe.d framework to run
high-traffic web apps...

Upcoming uses:

Mobile

D has beta support for iOS and Android.  You can use it for games
or other mobile apps where you need more performance.

Think of this forum thread as a market survey where we can
collect the usage data to put on these marketing pages.  If you
or your company don't want to publicly advertise who you are, you
can still anonymously talk generally about what you're doing and
we can reference that usage in such a webpage.

The idea is to point out areas where D has already been used, so
that potential users know that trail has been blazed to some
extent, ie they're not heading down that path for the first time.

I'm looking for data on how people are using D to get stuff done.
  We'll structure the content later based on how people say
they're using D in this thread.