The Sparrow language

Puming via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 6 07:54:18 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 6 April 2016 at 13:15:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I just got word about Sparrow (from its creator no less):
>
> presentation_offline_Sparrow.pdf - https://db.tt/m2WwpxIY
> Speak.mp4 - https://db.tt/RDmrlEu7
> ThesisLucTeo.pdf - https://db.tt/1ylGHuc1
>
> An interesting language that shares a lot of D's vision and
> features. The languages differ in a few aspects: Sparrow has a
> much more flexible syntax allowing a variety of custom
> operators. (I happen to disagree that's a good thing as I
> believe highly flexible syntax easily leads to transmission
> noise code). On the plus side Sparrow has a smoother
> integration of compile-time vs. run-time computation, which
> makes it a bit easier to transition from one to another.
> Another feature we could consider adding to D is a simple
> definition of concepts as complex Boolean predicates. That's
> essentially identical to isForwardRange etc. etc. but makes for
> simpler use of these predicates.
>

> Andrei

Interesting. I've thinking about concepts too. Hopefully they
could come into D. Actually, I think concept and interfaces could
be combined into one feature. An interface is just a special case
of a concept, saying its implementer should have the matching
function signatures.