Any usable SIMD implementation?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 7 02:41:06 PDT 2016

On 4/7/2016 12:59 AM, 9il wrote:
> 1. Executable size will grow with every instruction set release

Yes, and nobody cares. With virtual memory and demand loading, unexecuted code
will never be loaded off of disk and will never consume memory space. And with a
64 bit address space, there will never be a shortage of virtual address space.

It will consume space on your 1 terabyte drive. Meh. I have several of those
drives, and what consumes space is video, not code binaries :-)

> 3. This would not solve the problem for generic BLAS implementation for Phobos
> at all! How you would force compiler to USE and NOT USE specific vector
> permutations for example in the same object file? Yes, I know, DMD has not
> permutations. No, I don't want to write permutation for each architecture. Why?
> I can write simple D code that generates single LLVM IR code which would work
> for ALL targets!

There's no reason for the compiler to make target CPU information available when
writing generic code.