On the origins of github.com/D-Programming-Language

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 8 16:49:35 PDT 2016

Hei,

I just wanted to ask a short question - why did you pick such a
long github namespace?
Having something short is easier to remember, shorter to type,
better visible and often recognized as more important (that's how
our brains work). Another good example is that since github
started to include the user/organization name in the header of
issue /PR mails the title is barely readable.

My background is the today I changed my github account from
@greenify to @wilzbach and actually changing the name is rather
easy - github sets up all redirect automatically.
More infos:
https://help.github.com/articles/what-happens-when-i-change-my-username/

There a two things that one shouldn't forgot after the move is
(1) to register the old account, so that no one can overwrite the
redirects and (2) changing the CI config files (e. g. Travis
allows repo protection)

I do know that in such a large project, there still might be some
efforts involved (maybe with auto-tester) - so I wanted to ask
you on your opinion regarding renaming the github organization?

Btw I have seen that someone already had a similar spirit and
reserved d-lang.

https://github.com/d-lang

In case it's not one of you - there is still the friendly github
support.