Logo for DlangScience

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 9 04:48:55 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 9 April 2016 at 10:16:36 UTC, 9il wrote:
> Where I can find old and new D logo from dlang.org in svg
> format?

You can find the old logo in the git history:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/a37e410710911bcc0b7f01319504d96999b7c097/images/dlogo.svg

Also, the designer's page for all his logo proposals is still
online:
http://blog.sukimashita.com/d/

The new logo is over here:
http://dlang.org/images/dlogo.svg

Or in git history:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/9d4ba62443d65a5c734b2162e355226919442b70/images/dlogo.svg

> Can I use them as basis for logo for
> https://github.com/DlangScience ?

The terms for the old logo are:

   COPYRIGHT © SUKIMASHITA 2006-2015
   ALL FREE TO USE. ONLY SELLING THESE IMAGES IS PROHIBITED.

It's not 100% clear if this allows to create derivative works
from it. I would think it does, but I'm not a lawyer. Ola Fosheim
Grøstad has expressed the view that the terms do not allow the
creation of derivative works [1].

I'm the creator of the new logo, which is a derivative work of
the old one. So the status of the new logo is unfortunately
uncertain. I've attempted to contact Sukimashita aka Martin
Szulecki through various channels, but I didn't manage to get a
hold of him.

[1]
https://forum.dlang.org/post/njdzugwjdnnapkkqmhvc@forum.dlang.org