Females in the community.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 11 10:12:03 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 26 March 2016 at 19:52:18 UTC, QAston wrote:
> A person who advocates for a more welcoming community and
> wishes for objective moderation introduces a divisive topic

You need to relax. The topic wasn't divisive. I haven't asked for
moderation. I haven't argued in favour of objectivity. What is
appropriate and not appropriate in an off-topic social thread
like this is entirely cultural. I don't consider politics to be
particularly contentious, and have never seen it been made an
issue of, outside of very narrow US contexts, in my past _30_
years on the Internet. The overall problem with this mentality is
that you aren't supposed to mention politics _in case_ someone
gets offended, not because they actually do get offended. Which
pretty much makes it very difficult to get a working democracy.

What _is_ a problem in these forums are the level of butt-hurt
personal focus, not the occasional social thread. This community
would be much better if there were more social threads, actually.
A general forum is _usually_ a catch-all forum, so if you guys
want to allow socialization, but don't want off-topic threads you
probably should consider creating a separate social forum.

Of course, it seems like socialization is not a priority, but
then you won't see the formation of strong bonds either (outside
of IRC etc). Github doesn't really form strong ties. The basic
idea that people will form strong teams based on code alone is
not entirely well-founded.