On the origins of github.com/D-Programming-Language

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 12 04:46:07 PDT 2016

On 4/9/16 5:44 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/9/2016 12:04 PM, Seb wrote:

>>> Right, and the original reason for the long form name was how google
>>> indexed
>>> things.
>>
>> Okay - so this long name is purely due to historic reasons.
>> How about we move forward and change it to `d-lang`? So that the name
>> and domain
>> match again :)
>> I am happy to push this, contact the Github support and change links.
>>
>> Is someone of the core team interested in helping this move?
>> As mentioned redirects for the repos are automatically created, so the
>> web page
>> and git automagically continue to work.
>> We could fix a specific date & time, just in case something goes wrong.
>
> I'm willing to go forward with that if there's a swell of support for
> it. But for consistency's sake it should be dlang, not d-lang.

I think this would be a good thing to do for consistency, but not
critical. d-programming-langauge is not ambiguous. If it can be made to
work so both "groups" point at the same place, we should attempt at some
point.

A couple things though -- we have a lot of automation surrounding
github. We should make sure the major players have their input before
attempting this. I'm thinking Brad and Vladimir? Also, I think an owner
of the github group needs to be pulling the trigger too, so I'm not sure
how much we can offload this duty to Seb.

-Steve