Opportunity: Software Execution Time Determinism

dgls via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 14 01:44:21 PDT 2016

 From my understanding of real-time systems WCET typically depends
not only on the architecture of the target platform, but also on
the criticality of the system.

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 at 08:14:59 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Such deterministic code is usually very restricted. This is
> expected. See also:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worst-case_execution_time

Perhaps the best example of a restricted subset of a language
would be Ada's ravenscar profile, for High integrity real-time
systems:

http://www.dit.upm.es//~str/proyectos/ork/documents/RP_spec.pdf

> As a compiler we can't give a useful estimate of WCET without
> knowing the target architecture very well (calculating some
> upper bound is not too difficult, but if you ignore pipelining
> and caches the calculated WCET might be 4-5x higher than the
> real WCET).

I am agreed on this, I fail to see how a complier could provide
any useful estimate. Not only does this measurement depend on the
target hardware, but on the criticality of the task - a
calculated upper bound is used for tasks with hard-deadlines, but
measurement is usually sufficient for tasks with soft deadlines.