On the origins of github.com/D-Programming-Language

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 14 12:40:25 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 17:35:49 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 11:46:07 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>> A couple things though -- we have a lot of automation
>> surrounding github. We should make sure the major players have
>> their input before attempting this. I'm thinking Brad and
>> Vladimir? Also, I think an owner of the github group needs to
>> be pulling the trigger too, so I'm not sure how much we can
>> offload this duty to Seb.
>
> GitHub say that they will redirect all relevant requests (http,
> git/ssh), so assuming that's true, hopefully nothing will break.

Yes it is - as long as no new repository is created. That's why
you really should avoid to create repositories at the
github.com/D-Programming-Language after the migration.

As mentioned I wrote to the Github support about the "dlang"
namespace:

> I took a look at the account in question [dlang], and it
> doesn't appear
> that it is dormant (not all activity on GitHub is public).
> With that in mind, there would be no way for us to transfer
> this name to you without permission from the owner of it.

However I still have a bright message for you:

> It looks as though the **d-lang** account you found is being
> squatted.
> I've gone ahead and released this username now, so you'll be
> able to
> create an organization with that username now.
> You'll want to grab that username quickly — it's available
> first-come,
> first-served. Let me if there's anything else I can do to help!

Did that - that's why a couple of guys got an invitation.
So if we want to move to "d-lang", it is as easy as:

1) Delete the reserved "d-lang" namespace
2) Press on rename at D-Programming-Language
3) Recreate D-Programming-Language (and _avoid_ creating repos
here)

I don't know how your protocol for such a change is, is it:

1) Wait a week until for objections
2) Ask a survey (yes, no, don't care)
3) Check approval from Walter + Andrei
4) Something else

@Cybershadow in case of a positive decision, do you want to be
the "trigger guy"?

Cheers,

Seb

PS: In case you are worried - Step 1) will kick me out of the
temporary organization.