Opportunity: Software Execution Time Determinism

Observer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 14 17:28:23 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 at 22:33:15 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 April 2016 at 01:49:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I'd be interested if you can give an overview of the existing
>> tools/techniques for dealing with this.
>
> A combination of time-consuming boring manual reviews (over and
> over again) and time-consuming calls to QAC++. There may be
> more I'm not yet aware of or have forgotten :)

It's been a long time since I was involved in real-time work,
but back in that time frame, I used to collect documents on all
sorts of computer-related topics.  My set of papers on "Real-Time
Programming and Scheduling" runs to a dozen volumes.  The point
is, nobody should think that this area can be suitably addressed
with just a few language tweaks.  It's really a thesis-level topic
(and was, many times in those days, and I would expect so since
then as well).  Before you start thinking about language-level
support, educate yourself about the larger context.  Start with
"Rate Monotonic Analysis" and follow leads from there.