Can std.conv.toImpl please be deprecated

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 16 22:04:46 PDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 05:23:26PM +0000, Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Before I opened a PR, I wanted to get some second opinions.
>
> There is no reason IMO that the various overloads of toImpl should be
> public. Having the internal functionality of a parent function, in
> this case to, be exposed like this causes:
>
> 1. The docs to be cluttered with useless info. Anything pertinent can
> be moved to the to docs.
> 2. The function cannot be refactored because its guts are shown to the
> world
>
> Also, there is no reason that anyone should use toImpl over to. So can
> I please mark toImpl as deprecated in order to clean up std.conv?

I'm pretty sure that toImpl being public is an oversight. The name
itself implies that it should be private.  I seriously doubt any user
code actually calls toImpl directly... shouldn't it be just a matter of
marking it private instead?  Do we really need to go through a
deprecation cycle for this?

Tech-savvy: euphemism for nerdy.