[PRs] How to update on Github

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 19 06:34:24 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 19 April 2016 at 13:05:35 UTC, tcak wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 May 2015 at 10:39:46 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
>> Basically you need clone your fork to your computer, add a
>> "upstream" remote to github.com/D-Programming-Language/[repo
>> name, eg. phobos], pull from upstream the new changes and
>> optionally update github by pushing to origin (origin normally
>> is github).
>> It may sound complicated doing this from the command-line, but
>> after a few times you'll get used to it.
>
> Please put this information somewhere. Due to the fear of being
> told to squash commits, I do not want to do any commits anymore.

If all you need to do is squash commits, just `git rebase -i
HEAD~N` where N is some number at least as big as the number of
commits back that you're interested in messing around with then
read the instructions that will appear. Once you're done, `git
push --force` to update your branch.

I would recommend making a copy of the whole repository locally
before any of that just in case you mess something up, at least
while you're not as confident with git.