Policy for exposing range structs

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 19 10:59:48 PDT 2016

On 4/19/16 10:44 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:

> The feature is experimental, and has been tested on Weka.io's codebase.
> Compilation with -hashthres=1000 results in a binary that is half the
> size of the original (201MB vs. 461MB). I did not observe a significant
> difference in total build times.

I'd be surprised link times did not improve. With my trivial test cases,
the linker started getting hung up with very long symbols. The
compilation itself was quick though.

Certainly, cutting exe sizes (this is significantly more than half, BTW)
is a good thing in itself.

Another thing, however, is memory usage of the compiler. My
understanding is that having large symbol names requires more memory.
How does that fare?

-Steve