DConf 2016 offical presentation template

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 20 13:40:03 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 07:53:53 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> Many programmers (me included) are not good with picking colors
> and thus presentations usually don't look as good as they could.

My advice for "graphical-design-challenged" presenters would be

* If you feel unsure about colors, then don't use them. Black on
white is enough.
   Syntax highlighting might be an exception, but even there black
on white might be enough.

* Only use one font (including title page, footer, etc).
   Use some default font (Times New Roman, Arial, etc).

* A second font, if you show code.
   Use a fixed-width font for that.
   The one you use in your terminal or IDE.

* Only use size, bold, and maybe italic for formatting.
   Do not use underline, small caps, or other fancy stuff.

* Use a big font size.

* Left align everything. There is no law that you have to center
anything.
   Left align feels more structured, because everything lines up
on the left.

* Avoid bullet points.
   Consider "one statement per slide".
   Consider removing the bullets.

* If you have images, make them fullscreen.
   Fullscreen also applies to diagrams, plots, etc.

A quick look through the old dconf videos tells me that for
example Walter mostly uses a simple plain black-on-white scheme.
However, the slides would benefit from being left-alignment imho.