Changelog entries as folder or in wiki

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 20 16:51:41 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I had to rebase a couple of PRs lately due to conflicts with the
changelog and I believe I am not the only one, which is why
probably people mostly don't include their change(s) in the log
anymore. AFAICT they either submit a follow-up PR once it gets
merged or sometimes forget to update the changelog at all.

It would be great if we had a better, painless way to handle the
changelog - two simple ideas:

1) Use a changelog folder instead of file
2) Let the users put their changes into the wiki

Honestly I prefer 1) - the changelog entry can be approved &
checked during the code review on Github and the reviewers can
check that such an addition is provided in the PR. On a new
release we can just cat the files and remove them - having a
short and long description is easy too: `mychange.short.dd` and
`mychange.long.dd`. One can simply `cat *.short.dd  *.long.dd` to
get the full changelog. Btw grouping of similar changes is
automatically done by the filenames.

Cheers,

Seb