Distributor's whishlist and questions for D

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 21 01:30:59 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 01:01:01 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> ## How complete are the free compilers?
> ## Why is every D compiler shipping an own version of Phobos?

These two can be answered at once. LDC and GDC share the same
frontend code as DMD, but not the glue layer and backend (don't
worry, it's only the DMD backend that has the more restrictive
licence). Language and library development happens in DMD and
with regard to DMD's current capabilities. Changes to DMD and
druntime often require effort to port to LDC and GDC, due to the
different backends. So an LDC or GDC release is complete w.r.t. a
given past DMD version, but new features may have been added in
more recent DMDs.

The constraints on shipping a shared phobos between them:
ABI compatibility: we don't have it, even across compiler versions
It would hold back phobos development (e.g. "you can't do that,
because GDC doesn't support it yet")
You would still need to ship a separate runtime for each
compiler, so you don't really gain anything.