std.experimental.allocator.make should throw on out-of-memory

Thiez via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 21 02:15:05 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 04:07:52 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
>  I'd say either you specify the amount of retries, or give some
> amount that would be acceptable for some background program to
> retry for. Say, 30 seconds.

Would that actually be more helpful than simply printing an OOM
message and shutting down / crashing? Because if the limit is 30
seconds *per allocation* then successfully allocating, say, 20
individual objects might take anywhere between 0 seconds and
almost (but not *quite*) 10 minutes. In the latter case the
program is still making progress but for the user it would appear
frozen.