DConf 2016 offical presentation template

Antonio Corbi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 21 04:29:23 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 00:55:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> qznc <qznc at web.de> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 07:53:53 UTC, Benjamin Thaut
>> wrote:
>>> Many programmers (me included) are not good with picking
>>> colors and thus presentations usually don't look as good as
>>> they could.
>>
>> My advice for "graphical-design-challenged" presenters would be
>>
>> * If you feel unsure about colors, then don't use them. Black
>> on
>> white is enough.
>>   Syntax highlighting might be an exception, but even there
>> black
>> on white might be enough.
>>
>> * Only use one font (including title page, footer, etc).
>>   Use some default font (Times New Roman, Arial, etc).
>>
>> * A second font, if you show code.
>>   Use a fixed-width font for that.
>>   The one you use in your terminal or IDE.
>>
>> * Only use size, bold, and maybe italic for formatting.
>>   Do not use underline, small caps, or other fancy stuff.
>>
>> * Use a big font size.
>>
>> * Left align everything. There is no law that you have to
>> center
>> anything.
>>   Left align feels more structured, because everything lines up
>> on the left.
>>
>> * Avoid bullet points.
>>   Consider "one statement per slide".
>>   Consider removing the bullets.
>>
>> * If you have images, make them fullscreen.
>>   Fullscreen also applies to diagrams, plots, etc.
>>

>> A quick look through the old dconf videos tells me that for
>> example Walter mostly uses a simple plain black-on-white
>> scheme. However, the slides would benefit from being
>> left-alignment imho.
>>

> Great tips thanks. I use powerdot. I think a ppt template for
> beginners would be great.

For the emacs users here :) (surely you know this yet) org-mode +
org-export allows you to write in a very light markup language
and export your work to several formats at once (this includes
several html5 backends, beamer backend, etc..).

And the editing experience with org-mode is superb, you can
collapse all your document, show the section you are working in
now, promote/demote headings, move headings (and hierarchical
content) up and down with a keystroke, and much, much more.

Antonio