Changelog entries as folder or in wiki

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 21 05:31:22 PDT 2016

On 4/20/16 11:09 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 23:51:41 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Honestly I prefer 1) - the changelog entry can be approved & checked
>> during the code review on Github and the reviewers can check that such
>> an addition is provided in the PR. On a new release we can just cat
>> the files and remove them - having a short and long description is
>> easy too: `mychange.short.dd` and `mychange.long.dd`. One can simply
>> `cat *.short.dd  *.long.dd` to get the full changelog. Btw grouping of
>> similar changes is automatically done by the filenames.

Yes. It's not entirely clear how to add things to the changelog, and
conflicts are easy to create.

I will note that any time a PR fixes an issue (and the issue is simply a
bug), there is no need for a changelog entry, as Martin auto-generates a
list of all the bugs fixed. It's those complicated changes, or ones that
have no issue that need an entry.

> Agreed.
>
> Previewing the changelogs in the doc tester would be nice too (on my list).

+1, I have no idea how changelog entries look because I have no idea
what the macros do :)

Making it easy to auto-generate the changelog from these files would be
useful for release time as well.

-Steve