DConf 2016 offical presentation template

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 21 23:56:04 PDT 2016

Am Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:53:02 +0000
schrieb Adam D. Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com>:

> On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 00:35:21 UTC, Mithun Hunsur wrote:
> > supporting the presentation rather than _being_ the
> > presentation).
>
> Powerpoints have a bad habit of damaging presentations rather
> than supporting them...
>

> I hate slides. Focus on making interesting content and consider
> doing a hand out with actual details.
>
> A slide has less information on it than a tweet.... perhaps best
> is to think of it as a series of suggested tweets - brief
> marketing information rather than anything useful.

Slides =/= slides. Lecture slides are completely different when
compared to talk slides. It's always fascinating how much text can fit
on a slide. And in many courses slides completely replace scripts. How
much information you provide on slides is mostly a convention / personal
habit and target audience thing:

It's basically:
* Do you only want to sell something?
* Or do you want to convey information?
* Do you want the slides to convey information 'stand-alone' without
  the talk?
* If the topic is complicated, more text (or more slides) is sometimes a
  good idea. It reminds the speaker to spend more time on the topic.
  Additionally you don't want to require the audience to take notes
  only to be able to follow the presentation.

As an example, marketing slides are different from technology /
programming slides and the TV / media guys often have the best designed
slides (Well, they've got paid artists for that...).