DlangUI and CL Tools

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 22 04:34:17 PDT 2016

On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 10:59:16 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On 04/22/2016 01:42 PM, Chris wrote:
>> I am referring to threads [1], [2] and [3].
>>
>> 1. DlangUI is making progress and looks very promising. Is
>> there any chance that the DLang foundation/community would
>> embrace this project (more manpower)?
>
> Common misconception is that D team has any manpower it can
> potentially invest into promising projects. It doesn't. Some
> volunteers are more commited than others but there is no one
> (not even Andrei or Walter) who can tell others what spend
> their time one. There are both good and bad consequences from
> that but it is simply how things work right now.
>
> As such, only thing that can attract more manpower to any
> project (including DLangUI) is for author/maintainer to make it
> useful for many people and to make it easy and pleasant for
> them to contribute (see vibe.d case as an example).

We all know that. But we can at least try to keep projects going
that are promising and important in the long run. The thing is
that D is gaining momentum and we should cease the opportunity to
extend it beyond mere language features. If I compare D to where
it was 2 or 3 years ago, D has taken some giant steps (look at
the books that have been written about D).

I recently dabbled in Java, and I have to say that D is way ahead
of it. Java, albeit nice, safe and cosy (safety helmets must be
worn at all times), feels like a straight jacket and they've just
now started to remove some of the laces (so that you can scratch
yourself).

Imo, D is definitely on the right track, that's why it's time to
extend it and add a GUI etc. to it, which of course is not the
job of the core developers. But it wouldn't hurt to promote the
development of DlangUI.