DMD internal: appendToModuleMember performance

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 22 15:37:49 PDT 2016

On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 21:38:41 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> I don't understand exactly what you mean; do you propose to […]
> do a linear search when the shadow data structure says the item
> is present?

That's the idea. As long as you can reduce the need to do a full
linear search by, say, 1 : 1000, it would be enough to make the
quadratic behaviour disappear into the noise.

That being said, I did some estimates, and since the keys are
only 8 bytes in size, Bloom filters in particular might not be
worth it in this case, unfortunately. Quite sad, actually. I like
Bloom filters.

  — David