Directions to Ibis Hotel in Berlin from Tegel Airport

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 25 11:37:59 PDT 2016

On Monday, 25 April 2016 at 17:54:24 UTC, Jens Mueller wrote:
> Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 April 2016 at 08:43:34 UTC, Jens Mueller wrote:
>> >
>> >More questions?
>> >

>> I'll be getting out of the airport probably around 10:00 pm or
>> so. I've seen online the subways run into the early am, but
>> would I be better off grabbing a taxi at that time?
>
> I assume you arrive at Tegel. Then you go by bus 109 to U
> Jakob-Kaiser-Platz. This should be safe. I never heard of much
> crime in that area of the city. From U Jakob-Kaiser-Platz you
> take the U7 (light blue on the BVG maps) for about half an hour
> to U Grenzallee. So you never leave the metro in between. The
> less safer places of the ride are actually towards its end.
> That's my impression. But I'd say it's safe.
>
> Nothing ever happened to me. Even when I went to the Berlin D
> meetups (third Friday of a month at 7p.m.) to U Kottbusser Tor
> and back around 10p.m. Though Kottbusser Tor has a reputation
> for being unsafe.
>
> Try to not look like a rich tourist. It's fine to carry a bag.
> Berliners also travel and need to get home, too. Be careful
> when strangers approach you to avoid pick pocketing. Not that
> this ever happened to me.
>
> Jens

It's different when you're a tourist who doesn't speak the
language well and cannot "read" the situation. I've heard it's
quite common in public places now that someone approaches you and
distracts you (by asking for directions or something) while his
buddies try to steal your phone and wallet.

You'll probably be fine, as Jens said. My advice is to take a
taxi, if you don't feel good about it, especially after a more or
less long journey when all you wanna do is arrive. It'd be around
€40, if it's true what they say on the internet.

There is of course the danger that the taxi driver will try to
fleece you, but you know the shortest route now :)