Some questions on latest work

Bill Hicks via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 26 15:44:31 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 at 01:48:21 UTC, bigsandwich wrote:

> 1) This rant has nothing to do with OP's questions.  It does
> not help him.

I disagree. It does help him.  It has the potential to save him
time and frustration.  One thing that is common among most PL
communities is that they do not explicitly and openly communicate
design flaws, and every other shortcoming in the language that
has the potential to impact the user and their projects, with the
outside world.  I can understand such a thing from a corporation
and their marketing department, whose goal is to make money by
manipulating people to buy their stuff, but not from a community
of volunteers whose so-called goal is to make life easier for the
rest of us.

> 2) Its a community driven project, and its free.

That's a lame excuse that's been used over and over again in FOSS
communities, usually by those who have failed or are in the
process of failing.  It's getting worse as more and more
sophisticated idiots put their junk on Github and then make a big
announcement on reddit/HN for others to start using their
greatest inventions.

> If you would rather use C++ or Rust, you know where to find
> them.

That's a kind of response one gets from Amerikans everytime
someone criticizes the government, the educations system, the
financial and the banking system, etc.  "If you don't like it,
get the f**k out; this is 'Merica, the greatest country in the
world on God's greenest earth."  The only people who think
Amerika is great are the brain-dead and brainwashed Amerikans
themselves.  So if you want people to use other languages, then
stop elevating D to such high places where it doesn't belong.

On DConf, the title of Andrei's next talk should be "D's flaws
and why you shouldn't use it."  And maybe Walter could talk about
how "In 15 years Perl6 introduced more innovations than D in 20".
  Think about it, D is refurbished C++, done by those with zero
experience designing a successful programming language.  And what
is C++?  Possibly one of the worst programming languages in the
world.  That says something.