So, to print or not to print?

xenon325 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 26 21:48:30 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 at 20:01:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/3971
> I closed the PR as too controversial. -- Andrei

I guess it's too late, but from what I gathered from the
comments, main controversy is about the name but not the utility
(e.g. Adam's `substr` vs `substring` argument).

`printDelimited` and/or `printDelimitedLn`. Done.

Maybe I'm too spoiled by IDEs, but I really think we should not
optimize for short names in std library. My (PHP and Java) IDE
would suggest `printDelimited` after typing "prd" or even "pd".

I write such helper in every project and having it in phobos
would be nice.

(P.S. these naming and other bikeshedding debates are pretty
depressing in this otherwise great community)

-Alexander