Walter's Famous German Language Essentials Guide

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 27 04:25:51 PDT 2016

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2016 03:59:04 +0000
schrieb Seb <seb at wilzba.ch>:

> nitpick: Wo ist _das_ WC?
> In German WC we have definite articles and as a WC can be used by
> both sexes, it is neutral (disclaimer: not a rule).

There are some reasons why some words are feminine, masculine
or neutral, but I never heard of that. (It is short form for
English "watercloset" - which I didn't know before I looked it
up now. :D)

> However it's more common to say "Wo ist die nächste Toilette?"

Note how it is "die Toilette" because it is used by women.
But I didn't study German, so take it with a grain of salt. :p

--
Marco