Some questions on latest work

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 27 20:55:01 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 at 18:38:17 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 at 18:16:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>

>> He gave very specific criticism, along with a code sample,
>> then made a prediction, followed by suggesting another
>> competing language that might do better.  None of that is the
>> usual content-free fanboy "bashing."  There is nothing wrong
>> with occasional criticism of the competition, as long as we
>> don't overdo it, either in frequency or by exaggerating.
>
> No, judging a language by the appearance of its syntax *is*
> fanboy bashing. BTW, some interesting points about Swift made
> by a Rust designer http://graydon2.dreamwidth.org/5785.html.

Syntax matters.  Both for the ease of programmers reading it and,
as we've seen with C++, the speed of the compiler.

I look at that code sample and I don't want to read code like
that.  I have the same feeling when I see template-heavy C++
code.  It is one of the primary reasons I use D, because it reads
very easily to me.

Is it just because I'm used to C-style code?  Is it purely
aesthetic?  I don't know, but there is a difference.  Walter has
talked about an aesthetic quality to D that he tries to optimize,
and whatever it is, it comes through to me.

And whatever you may think of Suliman's and my opinion, I
guarantee that Rust's syntax is one of the main reasons it will
never take off, because most programmers have such preferences.
The Rust designers may not care: they may have chosen the syntax
that best suits their particular audience, just like Haskell, and
they don't want it to become more popular.  But its syntax will
limit it.