[RFC] D Improvement Proposals: Move to git + markdown?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 28 01:28:20 PDT 2016

Hi all,

as mentioned in a previous thread, I thought it would be cool to
have all DIPs in a git repo as many DIPs had wrong "status"
headers.

It turns out, it is not that much work & I quickly went ahead
with a small export & convert to markdown script [2].
Moreover it converts the header to YAML, so we can easily use the
Jekyll static page generator (=the tool behind Github pages).
Thus putting it up to the web is as easy as pushing a commit and
then it can be easily viewed like this:

http://wilzbach.github.io/d-dip/DIP57
http://wilzbach.github.io/d-dip/DIP85

A couple of advantages:

1) Full page generator engine included - extending the setup or
template is easy
2) Dlang theme/branding -> official status
3) In future: Detailed Git history
4) Peer-review on Github
5) Plain-text (+offline access)
6) Static html -> faster page load
7) Github Pages "workflow" (no CI or deployment)

That being said I have to admit that the automatic conversion is
not entirely perfect and it currently is only a mirror of the
wiki. So some files require a bit of manual work which I wouldn't
mind doing if we go this road.

Anyhow my question was: do you like the move to a git repository
and markdown?
How about github.com/dlang/dips and dips.dlang.org?

To give the coming discussion two counter-arguments. Firstly the
maintenance time is really small - it's just about reviewing PRs
as we already do for dlang.org. Secondly other languages like
Python[2] or Rust [3] also use a version control system.

Cheers,

Seb

[1]
http://forum.dlang.org/post/vwerejpqbfpkgkgcallb@forum.dlang.org