[OT] Swift removing minor features to piss me off

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 28 22:21:33 PDT 2016

On 4/28/2016 9:06 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> But, this might sound nuts, but I still think one of the simplest languages I
> know is assembly language. It just does what you tell it, one step at a time,
> with each line basically looking the same, it is light on syntax and language
> rules (unless you are using one of those weird macro assemblers, bleh). Most the
> instructions' behaviors are pretty simple too.
>
> I'm an honest fan and writing it isn't as bad as people say.... but indeed,
> there's a reason we have these other language things; simpler language is not
> necessarily better.

You're right. I've written a lot of assembler code for different processors,
including the entire Empire game (!).

The trouble is, you can't change data structures or algorithms without doing
complete rewrites, and that is so daunting that nobody ever does it.

Also, assembler code is many, many more lines than a compiled language, meaning
that the complexity to the programmer is far more, too.