[OT] Swift removing minor features to piss me off

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 29 08:58:29 PDT 2016

On Friday, 29 April 2016 at 03:44:47 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> Not surprised. Removing features is all the rage in the
> software world these days. This is one fad I can't wait to see
> die. Hopefully this one won't drag on as ridiculously log as
> pants-sagging did, but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> I say forget playing the "fire and motion" game. Just avoid the
> big five "our way-of-the-week or the highway" trend-factories
> (Google, Apple, Mozilla, Microsoft and Gnome) and everything
> should be (relatively) fine.

Actually, I did a bit of Java 8 programming recently and although
I would complain about Java developing ridiculously slowly as a
language (e.g. lambda support), I found that it is refreshingly
conservative :-) Yes, there are loops, semicolons and operators,
just like granny used to make them!

I'm glad Steve posted this here, because whenever a new fancy
"must have" language is promoted, my attitude is: lay back, relax
and watch it calmly. First Go and Rust, now Swift. We'll see. So
far D has served me well.