Walter's Famous German Language Essentials Guide

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 30 06:08:28 PDT 2016

On Friday, 29 April 2016 at 09:07:47 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> It might be difficult with your daily
> experience in Berlin to look at the world from above, but if
> you do it should become obvious looking at Turkey, Russia,
> Poland, Austria and Germany's own past or Donald Trump, that
> if we let these people take over, everyone loses.
> So what's your way forward without becoming a nationalist,
> narrow-minded society like the one you criticize?

What a lovely broad brush you have here. It's not like anything
else is going on in any of those countries - it's all nationalism
and narrow-mindedness and you're so virtuous and enlightened to
point it all out.

I'm going to speak for Poland because I live here and I've spent
significant amount of time to try and figure out what the hell is
going on in our politics. You know, because I actually vote here.

The goverment was changed because the last one did not deliver on
it's promises and there were many scandals involving it. Just
this week there was a leak with recording of past govt
representative asking one of the richest buisnessmen in the
country to intervene in an independent newspaper to make it more
govt friendly. And mysteriously the head of the newspaper was
fired after the chat took place. Hopefully with the new govt
these things won't happen anymore, when they do it's likely we'll
have another govt change.

The party which lost last elections still has a strong position
in EU parlament (their representative is the president of EU
council) and from there they make campaign about the new
goverment to delegitimize it. Yeah, it's a shitty move, but out
politicians can't see past next 4 years so they don't care for
ruining reputation of the country. Ironically, this tactic was
also used by party currently in power in Poland, but it was much
less effective. We have really shitty politicians.

Last elections were not a result of sudden "nationalism" and
"narrow-mindedness" emerging. The winning party didn't emphasize
migration crisis much, they were much more focused on social
issues. Their sollution is to redistribute money more, I
personally disagree with that, so I hope they'll lose power in
next elections. Still, there were parties which emphasized
stopping migration much more, they didn't even make it to the
parliament. Poland took refugees from Ukraine and Caucassus while
EU didn't give a shit. Nationalism my ass.