Off-topic: Nationalism on the rise again?

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 30 16:30:37 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 30 April 2016 at 16:14:10 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> The sentence right before where you cut the citation captured
> what I was thinking of:
>
>   […] frustration with the establishment leads to the rise of
>   people who favor a single opinion, prejudice, distrust,
>   controlled press and weak courts.
>
> You'll agree with me that parts of the media reform and the
> changes to the constitutional court in December were heavily
> criticized by people inside and outside the country for
> touching the last two points. On top of that, the party took
> control of the secret service from the parliament.

Media reform was just a public (i.e. govt paid) media controll
change from prev govt friendly people to new govt friendly
people. Done by almost every govt before as soon as it got
presidential support. We have lots of private media (vast
majority is private) who are free to do whatever they want. Most
of them choose to attack new govt by all means possible including
"Party leader has mental problems because he doesn't have anybody
to fuck" (that's actuall quotation from a newspaper likely to be
cited abroad) or freudian analysis of his childhood. Yep, that's
how govt controlled media looks like.

Constitutional court crisis is a series of law violations by:
prev govt, current govt, president, the constitutional judges
themselves, starting in june 2015. The institution didn't
function properly even before that but nobody cared. We not only
have shitty politicians, we also have shitty judges. It's a
political dispute, nobody really tries to solve it because both
sides think they'll gain from polarizing society.

Chief of parliament commission about secret services (whose job
is to create the reports and analysis of the work done, not to
govern) is going to be from govt party for 4 years instead of
usual round robin between all parties. Parties are still involved
in the comission as usual. Bad, but far far from Russia.

> I'm sorry that I offended you. I didn't go into details,
> because I didn't want to write an essay. Of course there is
> always something else going on. In many cases a rising
> unemployment rate and dwindling identification with the
> political elites for different reasons is involved.

No problem. I get you got this simplistic narrative from the
media, I've heard something similar in the media too. The problem
is that media are not doing their job properly anymore and create
such convenient, clickbaity narratives. Words loose their meaning
and now fascist/nationalist/sexist/racist no longer mean
anything, they are just convenient emotional smoke granades used
to slander political opponents or to make accusers feel good
about themselves.